Social Security Administration Office Locations
Find Social Security Offices Near You By State
What is the purpose of the Social Security Administration?
- The Social Security Act and related laws established programs that have the following basic purposes:
- To provide for the material needs of individuals and families.
- To protect aged and disabled persons against the expenses of illnesses that may otherwise use up their savings.
- To keep families together; and
- To give children the chance to grow up healthy and secure.
What are specific programs covered under the Social Security Act and related laws?
- Retirement Insurance
- Survivors Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Hospital and medical insurance for the aged, the disabled, and those with end-stage renal disease
- Prescription Drug Benefit
- Extra help with Medicare Prescription Drug Costs
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Special Veterans Benefits
- Unemployment Insurance
- Public assistance and welfare services, including:
- Temporary assistance for needy families
- Medical assistance
- Maternal and child health services
- Child support enforcement
- Family and child welfare services
- Food stamps
- Energy assistance