Skip to content
Social Security Office Near Me
Find Social Security (SSA) Offices By State
What is the purpose of the Social Security Administration?
The Social Security Act and related laws established programs that have the following basic purposes:
- To provide for the material needs of individuals and families.
- To protect aged and disabled persons against the expenses of illnesses that may otherwise use up their savings.
- To keep families together; and
- To give children the chance to grow up healthy and secure.
What are specific programs covered under the Social Security Act and related laws?
- Retirement Insurance
- Survivors Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Hospital and medical insurance for the aged, the disabled, and those with end-stage renal disease
- Prescription Drug Benefit
- Extra help with Medicare Prescription Drug Costs
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Special Veterans Benefits
- Unemployment Insurance
- Public assistance and welfare services, including:
- Temporary assistance for needy families
- Medical assistance
- Maternal and child health services
- Child support enforcement
- Family and child welfare services
- Food stamps
- Energy assistance