How To Replace A Social Security Card

You May Be Able To Apply for A Replacement Card Online

To qualify for an application to replace a Social Security card online, using your my Social Security Account, you must prove that you:

  • Are a U.S. citizen age 18 or older with a U.S. mailing address (this includes APO, FPO, and DPO addresses);
  • Are not requesting a name change or any other change to your card; and
  • Have a driver’s license or a state-issued identification card from one of the following:
    • Arizona;
    • Arkansas;
    • California;
    • Delaware (driver’s license only);
    • District of Columbia;
    • Florida;
    • Idaho;
    • Illinois;
    • Indiana;
    • Iowa;
    • Kentucky;
    • Maine;
    • Maryland;
    • Massachusetts;
    • Michigan;
    • Mississippi;
    • Nebraska;
    • North Dakota;
    • New Mexico;
    • Pennsylvania;
    • South Dakota;
    • Texas;
    • Virginia;
    • Washington; or
    • Wisconsin (driver’s license only)

If you do not qualify to apply for a replacement card online, then you will need to complete the following:

  1. Find what documents you need to apply
  2. Complete and print an application
  3. Deliver or mail this information to your local Social Security Office


All documents given have to be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. The Social Security Administration will refuse photocopies or notarized copies of these documents.

Acquire a certified copy of a document depicting a birth, marriage, or divorce that took place in the United States.

All documents submitted must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents.


If you plan to complete an application for someone else, you must also provide evidence of your relationship to, or responsibility for, that person. While also providing proof of identity.

Free Social Security Services

Several businesses allow Social Security name changes or Social Security card replacement forms for a fee. However, the Social Security Administration provides those services and more free of charge.